Blackwell's Station, now referred to as
just Blackwell, is a small town in northern St. Francois
County, Missouri. It is on the west bank of Big
River on the historic St. Louis
& Iron Mountain railroad which was constructed in
1858. The town was named in honor of Jeremiah
Blackwell, a soldier from the war of 1812, who
settled in the area during the 1820's.
1861 the area was attacked by Confederate soldiers under
command of Gen. Jeff "Swamp Fox" Thompson &
the Big River bridge was burned. It was eventually
replaced. Legends of
the town of Blackwell & surrounding area being haunted are numerous.
It has been reported that one can stand on the bridge &
hear the sound of Indian (Native American) drums
emanating from the river valley. Another local
legend tells of Judge Blackwell who liked to hang people
from the Blackwell bridge.