Boyer Family History
John T. Boyer - (son of Peliza Degonia &
m: Martha Govero - b: 20 Sept. 1843 - d: 14 March 1933 (Influenza-Bronchial Pneumonia) Doctor was Joseph L. Thurman, Potosi. - buried: Tiff, Mo. According to her death certificate Martha was a widow & was the daughter of Mary Boyer & Joseph Govero. She was born in Ste. Genevieve, Mo. Birth place of father was Washington County & birth place of mother Ste. Gen. The informant was B. Boyer of Cadet, Mo. Undertaker was Donnell B. Dietrich, DeSoto, Mo. (NOTE: There was another Martha Boyer who died in 1932 in Potosi who was wife of J.B. Boyer & daughter of Rose & John Flynn. Some people tend to get these two Marthas confused.)
In the 1920 census Martha is living with her daughter & son-in-law Rebecca & Robert Hall in Union T. Robert's occupation is listed as farmer. They are 4 houses away from John S. Burton & 14 houses away from her sister Sophia Bouchard. 7 houses away from Alfred H. Long & 3 houses away from Joseph R. Govero.
In the 1930 census for WashCoMo Martha was living with her daughter & son-in-law Rebecca & Robert Hall in Union T. She was 3 houses away from her son Noah B. Boyer & 3 houses away from her other son Frank H. Boyer.
John Boyer - 50 Mo. Inf.
Martha is living with her daughter, Rebecca Hall, in Union T. Nearby is her son Noah B. Boyer & son Frank H. Boyer
St. Joachim Cemetery:
In the early 1900's before a church was erected at Tiff, Missouri Father Luke Kernan, pastor of St. Joachim Old Mines, would come to Tiff to offer Mass in the home of Frank (Toksoe) Boyer, a two room log structure.
On June 10, 1905 Archbishop John Joseph Glennon acquired the property consisting of thirty-two hundreths of an acre from the South East Missouri Barytes Company for the erection of a church at Tiff. Father Kernan was still pastor at St. Joachim at this time and it was under his direction that the first church was built.
Mrs. Mary Magdalen Boyer was the first organist. She took her own organ to the Church until they acquired one. Mr. Ben R. Boyer donated the property for the church cemetery. People came from all the surrounding villages, Blackwell, Barytes, Bellefontain, Cadet, Cannon Mines, Fertile, and Shibboleth to Mass and the devotions at St. Joseph's.
In 1935 on a Friday evening in Lent, following the Stations of the Cross, the frame church caught on fire and burned to the ground. All was lost, including records. Soon afterwards, Father Cook set out to build a new stone church.
On Sunday, August 9, 1936, the cornerstone was laid for the new church................Much planning and work went into the new church. Father Cook was his own architect, contractor, and did much of the work with his own hands. He obtained a stone cutter from DeSoto, John Norris, who taught Mr. Henry Bourisaw how to cut stone and Andrew Aubuchon who worked with Mr. Bourisaw.