Dicus Picture Page



Quite a long time ago, an elderly jovial-like man lived
out among the dikes of Holland, Scotland or Ireland.
Sometimes when angered he would bitterly complain
and at times threaten people in general. Some used the
common term "cuss". One day after a heated argument
in a nearby town, a person asked the name of the man.
  Someone said it was the "ole-dike-cuss". And so
the name "Dicus" was born!


BRAD SLOAN DYCUS ~ Brad is the gr. gr. grandfather of Esther. M. Ziock Carroll.  Brad was born 4 March 1845 in Dade County, Missouri.  Married Jane Hawkins (who is said to be part Indian) 1865 in Washington County, Missouri.  In 1874 in Washinton County, Missouri Brad was convicted of gambling & disturbing the peace.  About 1876 Brad and Jane divorced and Brad went to Tennessee for a few years, then to Kentucky and eventually settled in McLeansboro, Hamilton County, Illinois.  Here he remarried three more times to Sarah Whitaker then Almeda Gordon & then Jenny Spengler.  Brad died 18 Oct. 1929 & is buried in the I.O.O.F. Cemetery in McLeansboro, Hamilton County, Illinois.  For information on Brad's military service see articles below.

BradDicusTombstone.jpg (4836 bytes)

Children of Jane Hawkins & Brad Dicus are:

Mary Elizabeth ~ Born 1867 in Missouri.  Married Thomas Coke Wright 19 Dec. 1886 at Davisville, Crawford County, Missouri.  Died circa 1897 & believed to be buried at Lost Creek Cemetery, Washington County, Missouri.

Margie Frances ~ Margie is the gr. grandmother of Esther M. Ziock Carroll.  Margie was born 14 Dec. 1868 in Washington County, Missouri.   She was first married to Jesse F. Henslee & had one child by him who they named Chloe.   She next married her step-brother, James M. Martin on 5 March 1892 a marriage that laste over 50 years. After James' death Margie was married a third time in southern Missouri but do not know the name of the man she married.  They later divorced & she resumed the Martin name.  Margie died 16 Nov. 1955 in Potosi & is buried in the New Masonic Cemetery, Potosi, Washington County, Missouri.  There is no tombstone marking her grave but it is located on the east edge of the cemetery almost half way up the hill.

Thomas H. ~ Believed to have been born 1869 & died 1869-70. 

Martha Alice ~ Born March 1870 & was married to Alvin Stotler who was 1/2 brother to William Rhodes.

Eveline ~ was born 16 March 1873 in Brazil, Washington County, Missouri & married 1881 to William Rhodes who was 1/2 brother to Alvin Stotler.  Evaline & William had four children: Haskel, Ernest, Henry, & Sadie L. who was born 19 Feb. 1898.  She was married to a man by the last name of Nethington. Sadie died 15 Apr. 1981 in Chico, California. Evaline died 17 June 1959 in Iron County, Missouri & is buried in New Masonic Cemetery, Potosi, Washington County, Missouri.

Sarah B. ~ b: May 1874 - d: after 1935      m: to Ruben F. Vaughan.  They are listed in the 1900 cn. in Webster Groves, St. Louis with 2 children: Thomas H.-b: Aug.1879 & Clyde Bascom b: Sept. 1899.  Ruben is listed as a Restaurant Keeper b: June 1850. Death Cert. for Reuben Vaughan:  b: 5 June 1850 list his marital status as "separated" - address: 5800 Arsenal St. - hospital - occupation: physician - d: 21 April 1935 of La Grippe/chronic myocaditis - buried: ?Arsco? Mo.- undertaker: F.J. Jones, ?St.Charles? Mo.

Children of Sarah Whitaker & Brad Dicus are:

William Paul ~ Born 11 Dec. 1884 in McLeansboro, Hamilton County, Illinois.  Was a U.S. Navy Seaman.  Was married to Florence O'Sullivan.   William died 11 Nov. 1927 & is buried in I.O.O.F. Cemetery McLeansboro, Hamilton County, Illinois.



JOHN DICUS: John Dicus was born 1798 in N. Carolina. He is believed to be the son of Edward Dicus the Revolutionary War soldier who later settled in Jackson County, Tennessee.  Circa 1832 John married Celila Sloan in Jackson County. They became the parents of eleven children. This family came to Dade County, Missouri then moved to Crawford County & later settled in Washington County. John died circa 1868 & Celila died 1880 - 1900.  Children of Celila & John Dicus are:

William E. ~ Born 1834 in Tennessee. Married Sarah A. Williams on 11 Jan. 1855 in Crawford County, Missouri.

John R. ~ Born 1836 in Tennessee.  Married Jane ??.   John R. died 22 March 1904.

Julia A. ~ Born 1839 in Tennessee.  Married Richard D. Gregory 25 July 1867 in Washington County, Missouri.

Larkin M. ~ Born 1840 in Tennessee.  Married Nancy Pane 17 July 1862 in Crawford County, Missouri.

Samuel Calvin ~ Born 8 Feb. 1839? in Jackson County, Tennessee. Married Martha Ann Veach 6 June 1861 in Palmer, Washington County, Missouri.   Samuel died 7 Aug. 1923 & is buried in the Steelville Cemetery, Crawford County, Missouri. For mention of Samuel's military service see article "Victory at Vicksburg" on this page.

T.B. ~ Born 1843 in Tennessee.  No other info available.

Brad Sloan ~ Brad is the gr. gr. grandfather of Esther. M. Ziock Carroll.  Brad was born 4 March 1845 in Dade County, Missouri.  Married Jane Hawkins (who is said to be part Indian) 1865 in Washington County, Missouri.  In 1874 in Washinton County, Missouri Brad was convicted of gambling & disturbing the peace.  About 1876 Brad and Jane divorced and Brad went to Tennessee for a few years, then to Kentucky and eventually settled in McLeansboro, Hamilton County, Illinois.  Here he remarried three more times to Sarah Whitaker then Almeda Gordon & then Jenny Spengler.  Brad died 18 Oct. 1929 & is buried in the I.O.O.F. Cemetery in McLeansboro, Hamilton County, Illinois.  For information on Brad's military service see articles below.

Hugh L. ~ Was born 20 March 1846 in Crawford County, Missouri. Married Mary E. Staples on 21 July 1865 in Webster (later called Palmer) Washington County, Missouri.  Hugh died 23 March 1920 in Festus, Jefferson County, Missouri & is buried in Shirley Cemetery, Washington County, Missouri. Hugh served as a private in Co. E, 50th Missouri Infantry during the Civil War so there is the possibility that he helped to defend the Washington County, Mo. courthouse when Gen. Sterling Price's Confederate troops invaded Washington County & captured Potosi in 1864.  To read detailed account of "The Battle of Potosi" click here.

Riley Mack ~ Born March 1850 in Missouri.  He married L. Martin on 29 Feb. 1872 in Washington County, Missouri.

Mary E. ~ Born 1853.  No other info available.

Marvin Putman ~ Born 15 Apr. 1856 in Westover, Crawford County, Missouri. Married Oma E. Nipper 28 Aug. 1881 in Washington County, Missouri. Marvin died 21 Apr. 1939.


(The below information was sent to me by various Dicus researchers many years ago. I do not have any verifying documents so cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information)

EDWARD C. DICUS was born in 1753. He served in the Revolutionary War. In 1833 he applied for a pension (#3314) stating that he was drafted for service in Rutherford County, N. Carolina. The application gives names of comanding officers & type of service - mostly scouting for Indians. But, there is also evidence that Edward & his brother had Tory sympathies as in 1783 they, along with other citizens, were charged with treason which was punishable by forfiture of their property. It is not known if this was enforced. Edward later settled in Jackson County, Tennessee.

EDWARD DICUS JR. & his wife had four children: Edward C., John, William, James.

EDWARD DICUS first married ANN PHILLIPS in 1734 in Kent County. They had two children, Edward Jr. & Elizabeth. Ann died around 1740 & Edward & his children moved to Rowan County, N. Carolina where Edward remarried. Edward died around 1740 possibly in Tryon County, N. Carolina.

WILLIAM DICUS is believed to be the earliest Dicus to come to the United States & settle in Kent County, Maryland around 1695. His ancestors originated in Holland & immigrated to the British Isles, Scotland & Ireland.  William married ELIZABETH AMBROSO & they had one son, Edward, born in 1708 in Kent County, Maryland. After Elizabeths death William later remarried to MARY ANN SMITH & they had five children. William died in 1735 in Kent County.


*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  **  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  **  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

(Published in the Independent Journal 21 Sept. 1989)

(Published July 1990 in the book
Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War)

The following is a combination of the above named articles:

Researched & Written By:
Esther M. Ziock Carroll

    Washington County resident, Esther M. Ziock Carroll, recently (Sept. 1989) received membership in the Civil War organizations of The Daughters of Union Veterans, Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic and Auxilliary to Sons of Union Veterans.  Immediately after the initiation ceremonies for the LGAR Mrs. Carroll was elected vice president.
    To be eligible for membership a person must prove lineal or collateral descendency from a Civil War ancestor who served with the Union Army.   Mrs. Carroll met these requirements through direct descent from Brad S. Dicus her great great grandfather.
    Bradford "Bradley" S. Dycus was born March 4, 1845 in Dade County, Missouri.  He was the son of Celila Sloan and John Dicus and was the seventh of eleven children.  The family had come from Jackson County, Tennessee to Missouri circa 1844.
    In 1862, at the age of seventeen, Brad enlisted at Steelville, Misssouri as a private with Co. F, Regiment 36 which subsequently became the 32nd regiment, Missouri Volunteer Infantry.  He served for a term of three years.  He mustered into service October 18th, 1862 at Benton Barracks, St. Louis, Missouri.  During Brad's term of service the 32nd regiment participated in the following events:

Moved to Helena, Ark. - Dec. 1862;  Sherman's Yazoo Expedition - Dec. 22, 1862 to Jan. 3, 1863;  Chickasaw Bayou - Dec. 26-28;  Chickasaw Bluff - Dec. 29;  Expedition to Arkansas Post, Ark. - Jan. 3-10, 1863;  Assault & capture of Ft. Hindman, Arkansas Post - Jan. 10-11;  Moved to Young's Point, La. - Jan. 17-23 & duty there till March;  At Milliken's Bend, La. till April.   Expedition to Greenville, Black Bayou & Deer Creek - April 2-14;   Demonstrations against Haines & Drumgould's Bluffs - April 29 - May 2;   Moved to join army in rear of Vicksburg, Miss. - May 2-14;  Mississippi Springs - May 12;  Jackson, Miss. - May 14;  Siege of  Vicksburg - May 18 - July 4;  Assaults on Vicksburg - May 19 & 22;  Advance on Jackson, Miss. - July 4-10;  Siege of Jackson - July 10-17;  Bolton's Depot - July 16;  Briar Creek near Clinton July 17;  Clinton  - July 18;  At Big Black till Sept. 27;  Moved to Memphis, Tenn. thence march to Chattanooga, Tenn. - Sept. 27-Nov. 21;  Operations on Memphis & Charleston Railroad in Alabama - October 20-29;  Cherokee Station - Oct. 21 & 29;  Cane Creek - Oct 26;   Tuscumbia - Oct. 26-27;  Chattanooga-Ringgold Campaign - Nov. 23-27;   Battles of Lookout Mountain - Nov. 23-24;  Mission Ridge - Nov. 25;   Ringgold Gap, Taylor's Ridge - Nov. 27;  Garrison duty in Alabama till May 1864;  Atlanta, Georgia Campaign - May 1-Sept. 8;  Demonstration on Resaca - May 8-13;  Battle of Resaca - May, 13-15;  Advance on Dallas - May 18-25;   Battles about Dallas, New Hope Church, & Allatoona Hills - May 25-June5;   Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain - June, 10-July 2;   Bushy Mountain - June, 15-17;  Assault on Kenesaw - June, 27;  Nickajack Creek - July 2-5;  Chattahoochie River - July 6-17;  Battle of Atlanta - July, 22;  Siege of Atlanta - July 22-Aug. 25;  Ezra Chapel, Hood's 2nd Sortie - July 28;  Flank movement on Jonesboro - Aug., 25-30;  Battle of Jonesboro - Aug., 31-Sept. 1;  Lovejoy Station - Sept. 2-6;  Operations against Hood in North Georgia & North Alabama - Sept. 29-Nov., 3;  Ship's Gap, Taylor's Ridge - Oct., 16;  Consolidated to a Battalion of three companies - Nov., 11, 1864 & consolidated with three companies 31st Missouri Infantry as Consolidated Battalion, 31st & 32nd Missouri Infantry.  March to the Sea - Nov. 15-Dec., 10;  Clinton - Nov. 23;  Statesboro - Dec. 4;  Ogeechee River - Dec., 7-9;  Siege of Savannah - Dec., 10-21;  Campaign of the Carolinas - Jan. to April, 1865;   Reconnisance to Salkehatchie River - Jan., 25;  Hickory Hill - Feb., 1;   North Edisto River - Feb., 12-13;  Columbia - Feb., 15-17;  Lynch's Creek - Feb., 25-26;  Battle of Bentonville, North Carolina - March, 20-21;   Occupation of Goldsboro - March, 24;  Advance on Raleigh - April, 10-14;   Occupation of Raleigh, march to Washingotn, D.C. via Richmond, Virginia - April, 29-May, 20;  Grand Review - May, 24;  moved to Louisville, Kentucky - June;   Redesignated 32nd Regiment Missouri Infantry - June, 20;  Mustered out - July 18, 1865.

In July & August of 1863 Brad was assigned daily or extra safe guard duty at a citizens dwelling by order of the Brigade Commander.
    During his tour of duty Brad contracted a chronic illness at Young's Point, Mississippi from bad food and water and continued colds and exposure for which he was repeatedly treated by regimental surgeons.
    On Sherman's March to the Sea in September 1864 while tearing up railroad track in Georgia he ruptured the veins in his right leg severely enough to make it necessary for him to ride in the ambulance.  Brad mustered out of service in Louisville, Kentucky on July 18, 1865.
    After his release from the military Brad returned home to Webster (later called Palmer) Washington County, Missouri.  Here he married Sarah Jane Hawkins.  They eventually had six children: Mary Elizabeth who married Thomas Coke Wright; Margie Frances who was first married to Jesse F. Hensley & second to James Marion Martin;  Thomas H.; Martha Alice who was married to Alvin Stotler;  Evaline who married William Rhodes;   Sarah was married to Dr. ?Rueben? Vaughn.  About 1876 Brad and Jane divorced and Brad went to Tennessee for a few years, then to Kentucky and eventually settled in McLeansboro, Hamilton County, Illinois.  Here he remarried three more times and had another son, William Paul Dicus. William's wife was Florence O'Sullivan.

Extracted from the McLeansboro Times:

    "Brad was known as "Doc" Dycus from his occupation as a veterinarian and was considered one of McLeansboro's most interesting characters.   He possessed a cheerful disposition, was friendly with everyone, and was especially fond of children. He also served as City Marshall of McLeansboro for 25 years, was very proud of the job and had a reputation as a very capable and fearless officer.  A large picture of him in the uniform of Marshall hung on the wall in the front room of his home.  (Boy, would I like to have a copy of this picture!!)
    There was a porch swing on the front porch of his home and he would sit there every afternoon singing funny songs and people would pass and call out, "Hi, Doc!  How are you today?"  And he would answer, "I'm fine as frog's hair and that's as fine as silk" and then he would say, "Come in and stay till Chooseday."  When asked "who was that?" he would say, "Law, I don't know."  He was always happy and cheerful." 
    Brad was always known for his horse trading and he always had a horse in the races at the county fairs and always marched in the Memorial Day parades wearing his G.A.R. uniform.  Brad was 5ft. 8in. tall, had a fair complexion blue eyes and black hair.  At some point in his life he suffered a gunshot wound to the right shoulder.  This does not appear to be the result of his military service so it is assumed it occurred during his occupation as marshall.  He also had an artificial nose as a result of cancer.
    On October 18, 1929, following an illness of about two weeks, Brad Dycus responded to the final roll call of the Great Commander and quietly passed away at his home.  He was laid to rest in the I.O.O.F Cemetery, McLeansboro.



Researched & Written By: Esther M. Ziock Carroll
(Published in the Independent Journal 9 July 1998)

    From the beginning of the Civil War in 1861 Confederates had erected fortifications at strategic points along the Mississippi River.  However, Federal forces fought their way southward from Illinois and northward from the Gulf of Mexico capturing post after post.  By the summer of 1862 Union forces had gained control of the river, exept for a 100-mile stretch between Vicksburg, Mississippi and Port Hudson, Louisiana.  Control of this stretch of the river was of vital importance to the Federal Government.  Command of this waterway would allow uninterrupted passage of Union troops and supplies into the South as well as cutting off the Confederacy from the states of Texas, Arkansas and most of Louisiana.
    Vicksburg was of strategic importance being situated on a high bluff overlooking a bend in the river.  It was protected by artillery batteries along the riverfront and by a maze of swamps and bayous to the north and south and had defied Union efforts to force it into submission.  In October, 1862, Ulysses S. Grant was charged with clearing the Mississippi River of Confederate resistance.  Among his Corps commanders was Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman who was in charge of the 15th corps.   Included in the 15th corps were the 31st and 32nd regiments, Missouri Volunteer Infantry, which contained men from Washington County, Missouri and the surrounding area.   Pvt. Brad Dicus of Washington County and great great grandfather of Esther M. Carroll was with Co. F, 32nd regiment.  Brad's brother, Samuel C. Dicus, was with Co. B, 31st regiment.  Both regiments participated in the preliminary battles and siege activities of Vicksburg.  In one of these battles, the battle of Chickasaw Bayou, Samuel Dicus (who had only been in the service four months) was severely wounded four days after Christmas (1862) and was eventually sent to a hospital in St. Louis.
    During the winter of 1862-63 numerous bayou expeditions were aimed at Vicksburg, all of which failed.  In March, 1863 at Young's Point Brad (who had only been in the service five months) contracted a chronic illness from bad food and water and continued colds and exposure for which he was repeatedly treated by regimental surgeons.   Despite the hardships, however, Brad was able to continue to do his duty.  The Union Army of approximately 45,000 men, one of whom was eighteen year old Brad Dicus, marched down the Louisiana side of the river crossing well blow Vicksburg and prepared to attack the city from the south.  Over the coming months numerous battles ensued and Jackson the capitol of Mississippi was captured.  The Federal army then swung westward towards Vicksburg driving the approximately 31,000 Confederates back into the Vicksburg fortifications.
    The first Union assault on Vicksburg occurred May 19th and the second assault May 22nd.  Both failed.  Grant then reluctantly decided to initiate formal siege operations.  Federal troops entrenched themselves around Vicksburg and the city was cut off from the world.  Over the weeks Union reinforcements arrived increasing the troops to approximately civcan.gif (11136 bytes)75,000.  The Yankees continued to tighten their grip on the city.  Relentlessly day and night for more than a month Union guns pounded the city from the land side while gunboats blasted the city from the river.   Many terrified Vicksburg citizens and slaves took refuge in caves which had been dug into the hillsides.  Confederate soldiers and civilians alike suffered increasingly from hunger and disease.  Many resorted to eating mules, horses, dogs and even rats.
    Finally, seeing there was no hope of relilef Vicksburg officially surrendered at 10:00 A.M. July 4th, 1863.  As the stars and stripes was raised above the Vicksburg courthouse some Union soldiers celebrated their "Victory at Vicksburg" but others were sad for their courageous countrymen who had been defeated and humbled.  And, because of Vicksburg's defeat on this date, it would be another 81 years before the city would once again celebrate the 4th of July.
    The capture of Vicksburg was a very significant turning point in the Civil War and Washington Countians helped achieve that goal.  Along with the surrender of Port Hudson five days later, it gave the Union control of all the Mississippi and cut the Confederacy in two.  For the first time since the war began, the Mississippi was finally free of Confederate fortifications.  But the war still continued and there were many more battles to be fought and hardships to be endured and inflicted before the war was officially won.
    ANECDOTE:  When Gene and I went to Mississippi we rolled into Vicksburg around midnight and checked into a motel at the edge of Vicksburg National Military Park.  As tired as we were, though,we were also very hungry and did not want to go to sleep until we got something to eat.  Fortunatelly there was a small 24 hour restaurant nearby (who perhaps should remain anonymous since they are a well-known chain throughout the United States especially in the south).  We sat at a booth and were barely able to stay awake while waiting for our food.  Suddenly I thought I saw something dart out from the wall, run across the table and disappear under a small, metal ashtray in the center.  vicksburg1.jpg (13223 bytes)Thinking that maybe I had hallucinated from fatigue I asked Gene, "Did something just run under that ashtray?"  Gene wasn't sure either so he cautiously lifted the edge of the ashtray.  Yep, it was a cockroach all right!   The "rebel roach" immediately initiated "evasive maneuvers" and Gene kept slamming that ashtray down all over the table as the roach darted about but missed him every time!  He finally "retreated" over the edge of the table and successfully escaped from the "attacking yankees."  The "cockroach commotion" must have presented a rather comical appearance as another customer who was sitting at the counter nearly fell off his chair laughing! The next day as we were pulling into the small parking lot behind the Vicksburg Visitor Center another car pulled in simultaneously from the opposite side and we almost collided.  It turned out thery were from Florissant (St. Louis).   Everywhere we go we seem to "run into" somebody from Missouri!  At right is Esther M. Carroll at Vicksburg National Military Park at the area of Sherman's Headquarters.  Photographed March, 1989.



    I also have connections to Gen. Sherman besides my great great grandfather serving under him during the Civil War.  My step-father lived for many, many years in Gen. Sherman's big, beautiful old house which is located at the town of Sherman on the Meramec River in St. Louis County, Missouri. 

DUVatShermanReDedicationCalvaryCem.St.Louis.JPG (48673 bytes)RE-DEDICATION CONDUCTED AT GEN. SHERMAN'S GRAVE

By: Esther M. Ziock Carroll
(Published in the Independent Journal 10 March 1994)

    Despite the bitter cold weather(which froze the film in my camera & prevented me from taking any pictures) a re-dedication ceremony was held Sunday, February 27, 1994 at he the grave site of Gen. Wm. T. Sherman, Calvary Cemetery, St. Louis.  It was sponsored by the Sons of Union Veterans.
    Esther & Gene Carroll, Potosi Route, attended and represented Washington County.  Esther's great great grandfather, Pvt. Brad Dicus, served under Sherman along with numerous other men from Washington County and surrounding area.
    Participating in the ceremonies were various re-enactors groups dressed in Civil War uniforms.  A parade marched from the entrance of the cemetery to the grave site.  Esther & Gene marched with the Daughters and Sons of Union Veterans groups of which they are members.
    At the grave site services were held, wreaths were placed and several rifle and artillery salutes were fired.  At this time and incident occurred which added a bit of humor to the solemn occasion.  The first big BOOM from the cannon set off someone's burglar alarm somewhere down the street as everyone could hear the alarm sounding.  Within minutes several police sirens went screaming down the road!
    After the ceremonies the Carrolls had the honor of meeting Frederick Sherman Cauldwell, Jr., a great great grandson of Gen. Sherman.  Esther shook hands with him and when she informed him that her great great grandfather served under Sherman, Mr. Cauldwell smiled and replied, "We're just like family then!"


The Most Outrageous Crime Ever Committed In Washington County - (Brad Dicus served on Jury)



Dicus/Dycus Family History Site
Hosted by Jake Dicus

Descendants Of:  John Horner Dicus & Celila Sloan
Hosted By:  Dicus Descendant - Brian J. Oster